Thursday, February 23, 2017

Nelly Furtado Cosmopolitan Photoshoot

Nelly Furtado is ready for a comeback. The Canadian’s seemed to fade from view when The Spirit Indestructible failed to find an audience, but she came back swinging late last year with a fresh indie-pop sound The 38-year-old gives producer John Congleton a lot of the credit for her creative rebirth. “John is like this no-bullshit type of person, so I felt very challenged,” she remembers. “I felt like, ‘I have to impress him. I have to bring my A-game.’ That’s what you want. You want somebody to challenge you. You want to feel pressure. The first day together, we wrote ‘Flatline.’ I remember working on it and he was like, ‘The lyrics are OK, but I think you could do better, you could dig a little deeper.’ Sometimes you need that.” Interestingly, Nelly also reflects on ’00s-defining pop opus, Loose. “When [it] blew up way bigger than anything I’d ever done, I felt swept into this weird pop cyclone,” she reveals. “I was like, ‘Oh, I guess this means I’m supposed to do this, and have a stage that looks like this and costume changes and the whole thing.’ I wanted to do it, because I wanted to try that hat on and prove to myself I could do it… but then it happened and I was like, ‘This is a lot. I don’t think this organically suits my personality.’” Read the full interview here and click through the cute and colorful shoot up top.

No comments: